Mills & Reeve LLP - Central inception team assistant
- Salary: £16,000 per annum
- Location: Norwich Norwich
What does the role involve?
A new initiative was established to support the firm wide introduction of an innovative new electronic platform. This online platform, known as eDesk, supports lawyers and secretaries working on matters and clients. The firm has been running phase one of the eDesk rollout in a number of the firm's service lines focusing on client and matter inception.
As part of the eDesk project, a new team known as the central team was created. The role of this team is to give lawyers a central resource to help them meet their regulatory requirements. Initially, this involved undertaking anti-money laundering (AML) and client due diligence checks.
The role of the central team is now being extended to include the entire file opening and closing process. In addition to the AML and client due diligence checks, the team will also conduct conflict checking, drafting the letter of engagement, scoping and estimating, 'filleting' files, scanning, archiving and dealing with client balances where required. The team will have direct client contact if further information is required during this process.
It is anticipated that eDesk and the extended suite of services will be rolled out to all lawyers across the Firm and as a result, it is likely that the central team will grow to manage the additional workload.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Anti-money laundering (AML) and other checks
- Verify the identities of individual clients, either by conducting online identity checks, or checking identity documents provided by the client.
- Identify company ownership and beneficial ownership structures, e.g. shareholders, management structure etc. for corporate clients. Review beneficial and legal ownership documents for other legal entities.
- Conduct conflict checks and escalate where necessary under the firms escalation policy.
- Conduct credit checks as necessary.
- Monitor identity evidence for existing clients in accordance with set guidelines and update as necessary.
- Conduct client due diligence checks and tasks, such as sanctions, terrorist financing, politically exposed persons and disqualified directors checks. If required conduct additional checks including insolvency checks.
- Monitor any other checks undertaken within fee-earning teams as required.
- Conduct all relevant client balance and interest checks on matter closing, requesting instruction from supervisor and/or client where required, then closing the matter and/or client file in accordance with the firms policies and procedures.
- Review, 'fillet' and scan matter and/or client files for archiving in accordance with the firms policies and procedures.
- Assessing AML and KYC (Know Your Client) checks
- Liaise with the risk & compliance team to ensure compliance with customer due diligence on a risk sensitive basis.
- Take responsibility for assessing the AML information obtained and ensure this meets the firm's requirements and escalate as necessary.
- Legal research – Where standard searches do not provide sufficient information to complete AML checks for a particular client, undertake further detailed research using publically available sources where possible to locate the additional information required.
Who will I be working with?
You will be reporting to the debt recovery executive and liaising with the lawyers, secretaries and finance, library/information services and the risk and compliance team's where necessary.
Why should I apply?
This is a great opportunity to join and gain experience in a major UK law firm listed in the Sunday Times Best 100 Companies to work for since 2004.
What experience is required?
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent and have strong IT skills including knowledge of MS office. An awareness of anti-money laundering procedures, conflict and credit checks would be desirable.
What else should I know?
Mills & Reeve is a major UK law firm renowned for its outstanding service to national and international clients, for its collaborative culture and for its deep sector expertise. The firm has a strong sector focus with expertise in agriculture, charities, education, food and beverage, health, insurance, private wealth, real estate investment, sport and technology. Clients include businesses – from PLCs to start-ups – high net worth individuals and landowners, more than 120 universities, colleges and education bodies and over 100 healthcare organisations. Mills & Reeve is one of the top performing law firms in the UK when it comes to client satisfaction, according to the latest editions of Chambers UK and the Legal 500. The annual guides, which accumulate feedback from thousands of clients, place the firm in the top five law firms based on the number of top ranking practice areas.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment.