Capsticks Solicitors LLP - Solicitor/senior solicitor
Want to read this article later?
Just tap MyLCN+ to save it to your account
- Location: Leeds Leeds
- Hours: 9am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday
Capsticks is a leading provider of legal services to the health, social care and housing sectors, as well as in the field of professional discipline. The firm has a turnover of c£40m and over 400 staff - including more than 250 fee earners - across 5 offices and acts for a wide range of long standing clients in both the public and private sector including all forms of NHS organisations, governmental and regulatory bodies, medical technology companies, independent healthcare providers, registered providers, insurers, defence organisations, charities and GP practices.
Further details about the firm and the type of work carried out can be found on our website at www.capsticks.com
Our professional discipline team is ranked in the top-tier by the legal directories and is one of the largest in the country. We act for many regulatory bodies, primarily in the health sector but, increasingly, more widely. The work requires managing an investigatory caseload where it is alleged that the registrant's fitness to practise is impaired through misconduct, competence or health issues and preparing those cases for hearings before panels and committees of the relevant regulators. The work is varied, challenging and rewarding and the cases cover everything from large-scale fraud or multi-patient clinical failings through to inappropriate sexualised behaviour.
Main duties and responsibilities
Our solicitors carry out the day-to-day conduct of the regulator’s cases under the supervision of a partner and with the assistance of a paralegal. In summary, solicitor caseholders:
- Prepare the case plan at the outset of the case;
- Prepare advice on procedural or evidential issues;
- Correspond with the defence;
- Ensure that all factual evidence required to prove the allegations is obtained;
- Are the key point of contact for all witnesses;
- Interview key witnesses in complex cases or if the witness deals with novel or sensitive issues or is a vulnerable witness;
- Supervise witness statements taken by paralegals;
- Instruct experts and identify if any amendments are necessary to the expert report;
- Prepare instructions to counsel (both our internal advocates and the external bar);
- Attend conferences with counsel;
- Ensure that all action points following the conference are completed;
- Either draft the charge or review the draft charge against the evidence if drafted by counsel;
- Carry out disclosure of unused material;
- Liaise with the defence in the run up to the hearing;
- Supervise the preparation of the hearing bundle by the paralegal;
- Attend hearing at outset only, unless there are legal issues or problems with the case;
- Seek instructions from the client on any issues that arise in the course of the hearing;
- Prepare final reports at the conclusion of a case; and
- Present cases to practice committees/interim orders committees.
This list is not exhaustive and there may be other duties as reasonably required.
Capsticks is an equal opportunities employer
Capsticks is committed to providing equal opportunities for all and to encouraging diversity through recruitment. Applications are welcome from all sections of the community and decisions to progress will be made with reference to entirely objective criteria only.
Capsticks is an agile firm and is open to conversations about flexible working.