The Brightside Trust - Do something amazing – mentor a young person online
Want to read this article later?
Just tap MyLCN+ to save it to your account
We are looking for volunteer mentors to take part and share their own experience with a young person. This is a flexible opportunity as no travel is required and gives mentors experience of working directly with a young person and the chance to develop key skills.
Who are Brightside?
Brightside is a social mobility organisation that supports disadvantaged young people all over the United Kingdom to make confident and informed decisions about their future. We do this through online mentoring – creating inspirational connections that change young people’s lives.
What is online mentoring?
Using our bespoke, safe and secure platform, mentors can communicate directly with their mentees (through online messages) to discuss education and career pathways, raise aspirations and confidence and support them during key transition periods.
What are we asking of you?
We would like you to get involved as a mentor, to share your own experience and give your mentees an insight into your sector of work.
- You’ll be matched with three to five mentees for a six-week mentoring project.
- You will contact your mentees twice per week, spending approximately two hours per week on the project and always responding to messages within three days.
- You will answer questions, share your experience, ask open questions and be proactive in developing conversation.
- This volunteering is flexible – it’s all online so you can message your mentees from work, hope, your phone or on your commute!
- You will have a dedicated project coordinator to support you throughout with materials, tips on what to discuss and a point of call for any issues.
Before you are matched to your mentee, we will ask you to attend a 90 minute online webinar training session and to complete a DBS check (that we will pay for and support you through).
What will you get out of it?
- You will develop your CV.
- You will develop your mentoring and communication skills and get experience working directly with young people who need it most.
- You will get the rewarding feeling of supporting young people through key transition points.
- You will get a certificate at the end of each project.
How to sign up
If you are interested, please sign up HERE and we will be in touch with more information and next steps to getting you matched with a mentee.
The Brightside Trust is a mentoring charity, working to improve social mobility in education and access to careers.