Free JLD forum - careers development and skills
Want to read this article later?
Just tap MyLCN+ to save it to your account
- Date: 16/09/2017
- Location: London
- Venue: The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1PL
- Time: 10:00
The Junior Lawyers Division is holding a free one-day skills event, aimed at trainees, newly qualified solicitors (NQs) and solicitors up to five years’ PQE. The aim is to equip those who are at the start of their careers with skills and advice necessary to progress, diversify and develop within the legal profession.
Please join us for presentations, discussion and activities which will be of value and assistance to both those who are approaching qualification and those who have begun to acquire PQE, with speakers who are highly regarded and experienced in their field.
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
There will be presentations covering the following topics:
- Moving firms: Should you choose to move firms, you will want to know how others have done it successfully.
- Current trends in the market place and what firms and organisations are looking for in junior lawyers.
- The difficult questions: Negotiating a pay rise and moving up in your firm.
- Raising your commercial awareness and understanding your business sector.
- Private practice is not the only way: Alternative legal careers to private practice.
- Practising overseas: Pathways to a career working abroad.
Format of the day
The forum is a full day event running from 10:00 to 16:45 and involving a series of 45-50 minute presentations on various aspects of legal practice and career management. It will be followed by a networking drinks reception until 18:00. However please note that these timings are approximate until the programme has been confirmed.
Who should attend the forum?
The event is for trainees, NQ solicitors and solicitors up to five years qualified.
Individual 30 minute CV clinics will be running throughout the day for delegates seeking a newly qualified solicitor position. Registered delegates will be notified by email around a fortnight ahead of the event with further information and clinic appointment reservation instructions - be prepared to send an up-to-date CV with your appointment request in order to secure a place. Appointments are limited and will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis.