Want to read this article later?
Just tap MyLCN+ to save it to your account
On this page you will find details of legal apprenticeship positions available at various law firms and organisations. The page is updated as and when we are made aware of new positions. Please keep checking back to find out about new opportunities.
For more on what it's all about, see our "What is a legal apprenticeship?" page.
Current apprenticeships available at:
- Ashfords LLP
- Baker & McKenzie
- Bott & Co
- Harrison Clark Rickerbys LLP
- bpl solicitors
- Brethertons LLP
- Fletchers Solicitors
Ashfords LLP is a top 100 law firm that provides legal and professional services to businesses and individuals throughout the UK and abroad. We are based predominately in the South West, with our biggest office in the vibrant city of Exeter. We have three core divisions - commercial services, real estate and infrastructure and private client. We also offer wider professional services including financial assurance and Ashfords HSE.
We are offering the following apprenticeship schemes, allowing you to combine further study with learning on the job:
Legal administrator (Level 2)
This is a fantastic opportunity to prepare for a career in a professional services environment. At the end of the 18 month apprenticeship, there is the possibility to move into a variety of different roles including legal secretary or paralegal.
Paralegal trailblazer (Level 3)
Our paralegal trailblazer gives you the opportunity to start a career in law without needing to go to university. At the end of the two years, you could remain as a paralegal or continue on through to chartered legal executive studies.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for people who are highly motivated to learn and have a positive, can-do approach. You will need to demonstrate excellent communication skills, be highly organised and have good attention to detail. We also expect a good standard of education and would be looking for you to have 8 GCSEs at grade A*- C (including Maths & English); for the Paralegal apprenticeship you must also have (or be expecting) 3 A Levels at grade C or above.
The application process
Applications are open until 31 May 2016. Interviews will be held in our Exeter office during the first two weeks of July with apprentices starting with us in September 2016.
Full details can be found on our website - www.ashfords.co.uk
Click here to apply:
Our legal administrator apprentice role provides a fantastic opportunity for school leavers to gain excellent exposure across a number of practice groups. Our legal administration apprenticeship is a new and innovative alternative to higher education if you would like to earn while you learn.
Duties will include:
- Call handling
- Scanning (bills/expenses)
- Assisting with matter openings
- Client event co-ordination
- Basic marketing co-ordination
- Billing administration
- Meeting organisation
- Travel organisation
- Bundling and indexing legal documents
- Document production (in conjunction with our Document Production Unit)
- Liaising with couriers
- Proof reading
- Variety of other administrative duties as required
Skills and experience required
Entry Requirements: 320 UCAS Points (or equivalent)
We are looking for someone who is willing with a flexible attitude and who displays:
- Attention to detail: quality and excellence are the foundations of our fluency; each of us is responsible for achieving uncompromisingly high standards in the service levels we provide and able to understand things from our internal clients' perspective
- Strong interpersonal skills: strong communicator, able to interact with team members and client contacts with confidence; able to listen effectively to truly understand needs and drivers of the business
- Communication & presentation skills: solid verbal communication; excellent written and report writing skills; must be able to communicate in English to advanced standard in both written and verbal work
- Analysis and insight: good research skills: strong analytical thinking and ability; able to analyse key data and findings and then summarise for general presentation
- Organisation and planning: manages own workload to ensure work is completed in time and a quality service is delivered even when under pressure; prioritises tasks based on their importance and urgency; communicates to internal clients any delays in work or areas of clarification before work is due for completion
- Team work and flexibility: works harmoniously with different teams across the department and wider firm; proactively looks to support colleagues during times of heavy workload; shares information with colleagues relevant to their job; takes on new tasks as required and demonstrates flexibility and willingness to adapt to change
- In addition to the above, strong IT skills in Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel would be an advantage
- Diversity and Inclusion: Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Baker & McKenzie is a truly global law firm. We have more offices in more locations than any other law firm and most of our work has an international dimension.
Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. We're aided in this by our culture- we call it Fluency- which describes how we work, think and behave when we are at our best. Fluency encourages high performance in a collaborative and fulfilling way. Every person in the firm is measured in line with Fluency.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker & McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. More than any other firm we can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of one of the world's leading law firms but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- FT Innovative Lawyers Report 2014: Ranked 3rd Most Innovative Firm in Europe
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15: currently ranked 80th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2015: currently ranked 63rd
- The Lawyer European Awards 2015: International Firm of the Year
- Stonewall workplace Equality Index 2015: currently ranked 6th (the highest ranking ever achieved by a law firm)
- Chambers Global 2015: More lawyer and practice group rankings than any other firm globally
Bott & Co - Legal apprentice
- Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire
This is a rare opportunity to join an award-winning law firm as a legal apprentice, with full internal skills training and education provided through CILEx Law School. There is the possibility to continue with sponsored education, progressing on to legal secretary, legal executive, or solicitor, dependant on your own personal drive and ambition.
Applicants should be self-motivated, smart in appearance, with an eagerness to learn and progress. A good standard of education is required with high levels of numeracy and literacy. This would be a demanding yet rewarding role for the successful applicant who has the full commitment required to the role and all of its duties.
A good understanding of IT knowledge would be advantageous but not essential.
- To effectively develop legal apprentice/manager relationship
- To provide general office admin support to fee earner/PA teams
- To maintain accurate company filing systems
- To assist in the post room
- To maintain an open mind and flexible attitude towards the on-going development of the business needs
- This position includes annual holiday entitlement of 20 days per annum rising to 25.
Working hours are 8.00am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday.
Applicants should forward a full CV with covering letter to:
Claire Walsh, Bott & Co Solicitors, St Ann’s House, Parsonage Green, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 1HG or by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to these apprenticeships being highly sought after, we unfortunately cannot respond to each individual applicant, but only to those who have been shortlisted. Find more information on the firm's website.
LEXLAW - CILEx legal apprentice scheme
- Location: London
If you are a young person with good GCSEs or A Levels, our new legal apprenticeship scheme offers a great alternative to studying law at university. These rare apprenticeships suit hard-working young people with a strong academic background; those committed to learning new skills and gaining legal knowledge and those holding a genuine desire to become a qualified lawyer. As a legal apprentice, you support the firm’s solicitors and barristers and follow their guidance whilst yourself training to qualify as a lawyer.
Legal apprentices need to have the confidence to deal with both individual lawyers and legal teams. You work in our legal support team and need to be reliable, adaptable, conscientious, and able to work to instructions. The day to day duties and responsibilities of legal apprentices could be:
- Administrative support to lawyers.
- Reception cover which can involve answering client calls and greeting clients.
- Liaising with clients including facilitating the receipt of key documents.
- Conducting legal research.
- Drafting legal documents and letters.
We are now seeking bright, enthusiastic and committed legal apprentices who would like to become qualified lawyers, firstly via the CILEx legal executive qualification. The successful candidates will work within an existing legal apprentice team and be registered with CILEx as an apprentice and will provide assistance to our lawyers which will include a range of administration and office duties. The firm will pay you a salary (in excess of national apprenticeship rates) and pay for all your education and training costs while offering you long term employment in return for your commitment to our clients and our team.
LEXLAW work closely with the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), Vision Apprentices and Damar Training to offer the ‘Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Legal Administration’ and the ‘Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Legal Services’, with the opportunity to progress onto the ‘Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship in Legal Services’.
Learning takes place mainly during employment through the development of ‘on the job’ skills. However there is an ‘off the job’ training element which will take place through a distance learning provider and a monthly visit from your tutor. Both the on and off the job elements of the legal apprenticeship lead to nationally-recognised legal executive qualifications which are awarded by CILEx.
Applying for a legal apprentice career
We’re based in Middle Temple in the City of London, so if you live in Greater London and have a passion for the law and have the the drive and determination to succeed in what can be a demanding and fast paced sector then we would love to hear from you. We want to see how well you can put together a covering email and CV, so once you’re ready email us at email@example.com and we will be in touch.
- Salary: National minimum wage during training/market rate once ILEX course completed
- Location: All offices - state which office(s) you are interested in working in.
- Entry requirements: Four GCSEs, which must include English, plus at least two other academic subjects. All GCSEs must be at grade C or above.
- Salary: Will be based on statutory apprenticeship rate, with phased incremental increases as you progress
- Location: Dorchester
- Apprenticeship level: Level 2 intermediate apprenticeship in legal administration, with the opportunity to progress to the level 3 advanced apprenticeship in legal services.
- Entry requirements: At least five GCSEs at A* to B grade or be expecting to gain at least three A levels at A* to B grade
Specialist conveyancing firm bpl, the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) and Vision Apprentices have teamed up to be able to offer the new level 2 intermediate apprenticeship in legal administration, with the opportunity to progress to the level 3 advanced apprenticeship in legal services. The training will be delivered in house, offering a day's induction in the programme and then 13 week programme on the legal environment with a day's teaching and short activities to be submitted for marking and feedback. Monthly visits/support from ITC appointed assessor.
After you have completed the one-year apprenticeship, the shining stars among you will be invited to apply for the second phase of the programme - bpl advanced pathway to consolidate their learning and development, and a career within their chosen field.
Our aim for you is that you will become an integral part of the firm, and continuing to develop your own expertise in the operational field, be it administration or finance.
Pay and benefits
- Your starting salary will be based on statutory apprenticeship rate, with phased incremental increases as you progress
- 23 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Nationally recognised apprenticeship qualifications
- All training costs fully funded
What to expect
If you are one of the ambitious people we're looking for, here's what you can expect. To begin with, you'll learn the ropes as an office assistant, and - from your first day - you'll be assigned a friendly, helpful mentor who will support you and give a solid introduction to the legal world. Before too long you'll be talking the language and finding your way around the heart of business. At that point you'll begin your studies.
A bpl training programme is much more than just a job, it offers you the opportunity to gain nationally recognised qualifications within a legal environment, without fees and loans, and provides you the start a very promising - and rewarding career. We will fund your qualification alongside the day job and we're looking for committed young people who could become our stars of the future.
Who are bpl looking for
We are looking for bright ambitious school leavers who have decided to pursue a vocational rather than academic (uni) route. You need to have high levels of motivation, be ambitious without being arrogant, and be as confident dealing with clients as you are studying a textbook, possessing excellent communication skills - both verbal and written - is a vital skill. You'll be willing to work hard and not afraid to ask questions. That means you have to have a good attitude to hard work, and it also means you need to fit with our culture.
As well as demonstrating a passion for working in a legal environment and sharing our values, you will need to show the drive and determination to succeed in what can be a demanding sector.
How to apply
You will need to download the apprenticeship application form and find further application details here.
Brethertons LLP - Business administration apprenticeship
- Location: Banbury
- Entry requirements: GCSE / Scottish or equivalent
Brethertons LLP are a forward looking, award winning, leading regional firm of solicitors with offices in Warwickshire and Oxfordshire. Lexcel accredited by the Law Society, we guarantee excellence in the delivery of our legal services and are proactive and forward thinking in our approach.
To apply, see further details on the Brethertons website.
What the apprenticeships entail:
At Fletchers, we currently have eight apprentices; they work in various different teams within the company, gaining a range of skills and knowledge. Apprenticeships allow staff members to gain more than a qualification but also make decisions on their career aims and goals.
In addition to our current apprentices, we also have various members of staff who have completed their apprenticeship at Fletchers and been successful in gaining full time employment with us.
Apprenticeships are a type of work-based training, they combine training and real work. They are available to people aged 16-19 years old and are often an alternative to further education and college. With an apprenticeship you will have a job within the industry you want to be in and will earn whilst you learn.
Alongside your job, you will receive high quality training, which is specifically tailored to suit the industry your apprenticeship is within. Apprenticeships are available in over 80 different industry sectors and can help to develop your prospects and career.
- Receive on the job training
- Earn while you learn
- Gain specialist skills
- Alternative to college and university
- No student loans
- Excellent career progression
- Achieve a qualification
- Meet new people!