On this page you will find details of legal apprenticeship positions available at various law firms and organisations. The page is updated as and when we are made aware of new positions. Please keep checking back to find out about new opportunities.
For more on what it's all about, see our "What is a legal apprenticeship?" page.
Current apprenticeships available at:
- Burton & Burton Solicitors
- Mayer Brown
- HCC Solicitors
- Sumner & Tabor
- Bott & Co
- Harrison Clark Rickerbys LLP
- bpl solicitors
- Brethertons LLP
Burton & Burton Solicitors - Intermediate or Advanced Apprenticeship in Business Administration or Legal Services in Nottingham
Closing date: 29 February 2016
Burton & Burton is a friendly and forward thinking firm providing legal advice and representation for issues ranging from personal injury to private and public funded immigration law.
Closing date: 31 March 2016
If a full time university degree isn’t the route for you and you want to earn whilst you learn, our new Legal Apprenticeship programme is a fantastic alternative route to working in law and qualifying as a solicitor.
What is the BBC Legal Apprentice Programme?
The BBC is the world's leading public service broadcaster. Its mission is to enrich people's lives with programmes that inform, educate and entertain. It provides television, radio and digital services in the UK, and through its commercial subsidiaries brings the best of the BBC’s content to the rest of the world.
In 2014, we launched our legal apprentice programme which is designed to provide an alternative to the university route, thus enabling high achieving school leavers to work towards qualifying as lawyers. Training on the apprentice programme is run by CILEX (Chartered Institute of Legal Executives) ‘s Law School via distance learning and workplace assessment. Our apprentices will be with us for 2 years during which they will take Level 3 legal qualifications that form part of the route to become a lawyer.
Where are these opportunities available?
We have 3 places available in our London offices and 1 in Salford.
Why should I consider the BBC legal apprentice programme as an alternative to university?
University tuition fees now mean that students typically leave university with a large debt. It can be difficult for them to find relevant work experience and to get on the career ladder.
The BBC Legal Apprenticeship offers an alternative route into law which avoids the expense and uncertainty of the university route. On our programme, school leavers can earn a salary of around £12,000 and study toward recognised legal qualifications whilst gaining quality work experience under the supervision of our world class lawyers. For those already committed to a career in law, this route can get you working and earning in your chosen field from day 1.
When does the apprenticeship begin and how long does the programme last?
Apprentices will join the BBC in September 2016 on a two year fixed term contract and will be supported through their studies with half a day per week study leave.
What would I be studying and what skills will I gain?
The apprenticeship covers an Introduction to Law and Practice (the English Legal System); Contract Law; Civil Litigation; Client Care Skills and Legal Research Skills. There will be assessments on those subjects. You will also be acquiring the skills of a paralegal such as creating documents for court; drafting; doing research, and communicating with clients. The apprenticeship is called a Trailblazer Apprenticeship for Paralegals.
What work will I be doing?
During the apprenticeship you will be heavily involved in the legal work carried out by the BBC - assisting lawyers with their cases, transactions and projects, having your own responsibilities within the team, carrying out legal research and building relationships with our internal clients.
We aim to give you experience of different areas of the BBC group, enabling you to sample a wide variety of legal work and get involved in quality projects right from the very start. You will be closely supervised and will receive high quality training both from CILEx and the BBC group legal teams.
Who are you looking for?
The opportunity is open to A level leavers or equivalent with a demonstrable interest in a career in law and an interest in the BBC. We look for grades A to C in Maths and English at GSCE. Applicants will face other aptitude tests as part of the screening process.
When can I apply?
Applications will open in March. Please look out for details on the careers page of the BBC website here www.bbc.co.uk/careers/trainee-schemes-and-apprenticeships
Future career progression
The CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice is a recognised paralegal qualification in its own right. However, if you enjoy your studies and find that you want to do more after your paralegal trailblazer apprenticeship, then your CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice will act as the first year of your chartered legal executive studies, which can be attained over four more years' study by distance learning with CILEx Law School.
HCC Solicitors - Apprentice Receptionist
- Location: Manchester
- Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm
The role will comprise of the following duties:
- Speaking with Client’s and enquiries
- Taking messages and reporting to correct staff
- Managing internal boardrooms, organising refreshments
- Assisting with meetings with clients, training and events
- Diary management
- Use of switch board system
Previous experience is not essential but previous work in an office environment is desirable, excellent written and verbal communication skills. A keen eye to detail, excellent organisation skills and willingness to learn are paramount. Empathetic, compassionate with an even temperament to deal with potentially difficult situations with the ability to think logically
- You will have a good telephone manner and the ability to deal with clients
- You will organise refreshments for clients and have good organisational skills, looking after the diary and managing the board rooms
- Possibility to cover duties secretarial, including using dictation typing
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Cheerful, pleasant – needs confident and polite for dealing with clients
- Good time keeping Works well under pressure
- Qualifications required GCSE (or equivalent) Grade C above in Maths, English and Science.
- A levels C in any discipline are desirable but not essential
Various - can be discussed at interview.
Closing date: 10 Dec 2015
Sumner & Tabor - Legal apprentice
- Location: Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire
- Hours: Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 6.00pm
Key tasks and duties
- Administration of files
- To support the team with administrative tasks and action work as delegated by supervisor
- Provide telephone support and deal with client queries
- Opening files
- Ensure work issues or problems are reported immediately
- File closing
- Any other tasks required to support the team or requested by management
Additional tasks and duties
- Deal with all incoming and outgoing mail
- Photocopying and copying bundles
- Archiving and retrieval of files
- Must have good organisational skills
- Must have attention to detail
- Good IT skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Professional telephone manner
- Previous work experience involving dealing with people is useful but not essential
- Calm under pressure
- A professional and friendly manner
- Willingness and ability to learn on the job
- Friendly, confident and reliable
- Hardworking, eager to learn and develop new skills
- Team worker with a flexible, professional attitude
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C, or equivalent, including both Maths and English.
- One or more A levels would be an advantage, or equivalent
If appropriate fo the apprentice and employer, there is a long term future in legal property work in this established firm.
Bott & Co - Legal apprentice
- Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire
This is a rare opportunity to join an award-winning law firm as a legal apprentice, with full internal skills training and education provided through CILEx Law School. There is the possibility to continue with sponsored education, progressing on to legal secretary, legal executive, or solicitor, dependant on your own personal drive and ambition.
Applicants should be self-motivated, smart in appearance, with an eagerness to learn and progress. A good standard of education is required with high levels of numeracy and literacy. This would be a demanding yet rewarding role for the successful applicant who has the full commitment required to the role and all of its duties.
A good understanding of IT knowledge would be advantageous but not essential.
- To effectively develop legal apprentice/manager relationship
- To provide general office admin support to fee earner/PA teams
- To maintain accurate company filing systems
- To assist in the post room
- To maintain an open mind and flexible attitude towards the on-going development of the business needs
- This position includes annual holiday entitlement of 20 days per annum rising to 25.
Working hours are 8.00am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday.
Applicants should forward a full CV with covering letter to:
Claire Walsh, Bott & Co Solicitors, St Ann’s House, Parsonage Green, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 1HG or by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to these apprenticeships being highly sought after, we unfortunately cannot respond to each individual applicant, but only to those who have been shortlisted. Find more information on the firm's website.
LEXLAW - CILEx legal apprentice scheme
- Location: London
If you are a young person with good GCSEs or A Levels, our new legal apprenticeship scheme offers a great alternative to studying law at university. These rare apprenticeships suit hard-working young people with a strong academic background; those committed to learning new skills and gaining legal knowledge and those holding a genuine desire to become a qualified lawyer. As a legal apprentice, you support the firm’s solicitors and barristers and follow their guidance whilst yourself training to qualify as a lawyer.
Legal apprentices need to have the confidence to deal with both individual lawyers and legal teams. You work in our legal support team and need to be reliable, adaptable, conscientious, and able to work to instructions. The day to day duties and responsibilities of legal apprentices could be:
- Administrative support to lawyers.
- Reception cover which can involve answering client calls and greeting clients.
- Liaising with clients including facilitating the receipt of key documents.
- Conducting legal research.
- Drafting legal documents and letters.
We are now seeking bright, enthusiastic and committed legal apprentices who would like to become qualified lawyers, firstly via the CILEx legal executive qualification. The successful candidates will work within an existing legal apprentice team and be registered with CILEx as an apprentice and will provide assistance to our lawyers which will include a range of administration and office duties. The firm will pay you a salary (in excess of national apprenticeship rates) and pay for all your education and training costs while offering you long term employment in return for your commitment to our clients and our team.
LEXLAW work closely with the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), Vision Apprentices and Damar Training to offer the ‘Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Legal Administration’ and the ‘Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Legal Services’, with the opportunity to progress onto the ‘Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship in Legal Services’.
Learning takes place mainly during employment through the development of ‘on the job’ skills. However there is an ‘off the job’ training element which will take place through a distance learning provider and a monthly visit from your tutor. Both the on and off the job elements of the legal apprenticeship lead to nationally-recognised legal executive qualifications which are awarded by CILEx.
Applying for a legal apprentice career
We’re based in Middle Temple in the City of London, so if you live in Greater London and have a passion for the law and have the the drive and determination to succeed in what can be a demanding and fast paced sector then we would love to hear from you. We want to see how well you can put together a covering email and CV, so once you’re ready email us at email@example.com and we will be in touch.
- Salary: National minimum wage during training/market rate once ILEX course completed
- Location: All offices - state which office(s) you are interested in working in.
- Entry requirements: Four GCSEs, which must include English, plus at least two other academic subjects. All GCSEs must be at grade C or above.
- Salary: Will be based on statutory apprenticeship rate, with phased incremental increases as you progress
- Location: Dorchester
- Apprenticeship level: Level 2 intermediate apprenticeship in legal administration, with the opportunity to progress to the level 3 advanced apprenticeship in legal services.
- Entry requirements: At least five GCSEs at A* to B grade or be expecting to gain at least three A levels at A* to B grade
Specialist conveyancing firm bpl, the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) and Vision Apprentices have teamed up to be able to offer the new level 2 intermediate apprenticeship in legal administration, with the opportunity to progress to the level 3 advanced apprenticeship in legal services. The training will be delivered in house, offering a day's induction in the programme and then 13 week programme on the legal environment with a day's teaching and short activities to be submitted for marking and feedback. Monthly visits/support from ITC appointed assessor.
After you have completed the one-year apprenticeship, the shining stars among you will be invited to apply for the second phase of the programme - bpl advanced pathway to consolidate their learning and development, and a career within their chosen field.
Our aim for you is that you will become an integral part of the firm, and continuing to develop your own expertise in the operational field, be it administration or finance.
Pay and benefits
- Your starting salary will be based on statutory apprenticeship rate, with phased incremental increases as you progress
- 23 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Nationally recognised apprenticeship qualifications
- All training costs fully funded
What to expect
If you are one of the ambitious people we're looking for, here's what you can expect. To begin with, you'll learn the ropes as an office assistant, and - from your first day - you'll be assigned a friendly, helpful mentor who will support you and give a solid introduction to the legal world. Before too long you'll be talking the language and finding your way around the heart of business. At that point you'll begin your studies.
A bpl training programme is much more than just a job, it offers you the opportunity to gain nationally recognised qualifications within a legal environment, without fees and loans, and provides you the start a very promising - and rewarding career. We will fund your qualification alongside the day job and we're looking for committed young people who could become our stars of the future.
Who are bpl looking for
We are looking for bright ambitious school leavers who have decided to pursue a vocational rather than academic (uni) route. You need to have high levels of motivation, be ambitious without being arrogant, and be as confident dealing with clients as you are studying a textbook, possessing excellent communication skills - both verbal and written - is a vital skill. You'll be willing to work hard and not afraid to ask questions. That means you have to have a good attitude to hard work, and it also means you need to fit with our culture.
As well as demonstrating a passion for working in a legal environment and sharing our values, you will need to show the drive and determination to succeed in what can be a demanding sector.
How to apply
You will need to download the apprenticeship application form and find further application details here.
- Location: Banbury
- Entry requirements: GCSE / Scottish or equivalent
Brethertons LLP are a forward looking, award winning, leading regional firm of solicitors with offices in Warwickshire and Oxfordshire. Lexcel accredited by the Law Society, we guarantee excellence in the delivery of our legal services and are proactive and forward thinking in our approach.