Ashurst LLP - Legal apprentice
Want to read this article later?
Just tap MyLCN+ to save it to your account
- Duration: 2 years (paralegal apprenticeship); 5 years (solicitor apprenticeship)
- Location: London London
- Salary: £19,000 pa
- Entry requirements: AAB at A-level or equivalent (obtained or predicted) as well as 7 GCSE's at A* - C (or 9 – 4 for the numbered GCSE grading system)
- Hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm
- Commencing date: Monday 30 September 2019
- Closing date: Sunday 10 March 2019
- Website: fsr.cvmailuk.com/ashurstuk/main.cfm?page=jobSpecific&jobId=42109&rcd=63770&queryString=groupType_73%3D2529%26groupType_4%3D&srxksl=1
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit our website: https://www.ashurst.com/.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Role: Legal Apprentice
Reporting to: Supervisor
Hours of work: 9.30 a.m – 5.30 p.m
Starting salary: £19,000 per annum
The Ashurst legal apprenticeship is designed to help school leavers kick-start their career as a solicitor with a structured learning programme. Alongside studying part-time with The University of Law one day a week, you will gain hands-on experience of a wide range of legal work.
You will initially complete the two-year level 3 paralegal apprenticeship with additional study to give a level 4 qualification (equivalent to the first year of university). This qualification combines the foundation level knowledge required for a new entrant into a legal office with the more technical demands expected of a junior lawyer.
Those who wish to continue their learning may then progress onto the level 7 solicitor apprenticeship, which incorporates an LLB (Hons) degree and solicitors qualifying exams. Completing the paralegal apprenticeship first means that you will be able to complete the solicitor apprenticeship in a reduced period of time (five years, instead of six). All study fees will be funded by the firm.
We will invest the time and resources into ensuring our apprentices are fully equipped with the tools for success in the legal sector. In return, we expect commitment, motivation and a genuine interest in helping our clients. Apprentices will be allocated a supervisor to provide them with quality training and opportunities to develop, as well as feedback and guidance.
We are now recruiting for legal apprentices to start in September 2019. The deadline for applications is 10 March 2019. To apply, please submit an online application form.
Exact responsibilities will depend on the department you join, but the types of tasks you can expect to carry out include:
- File opening and closure on case management system
- Document management
- Drafting invoices
- Producing correspondence and reports as required
- Preparing files and bundles
- Handling telephone communication from colleagues and clients
- Assisting fee earners with case load subject to close supervision
- Carrying out basic legal and business research
- Assisting Partners and Associates with various tasks
- Ensuring confidentiality and security of all firm and client documentation, data and information
- Assisting in the overall efficient running of the team
- Attending departmental training sessions
- General administration duties such as e-filing, photocopying and scanning
- As you gain more experience you will be given more responsibility such as attending client meetings, producing attendance notes and running parts of files
- Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies
As a Legal Apprentice at Ashurst, you will complete the Paralegal Apprenticeship at Level 3. For some candidates, additional degree level content provided by the University of Law and tailored to your relevant practice area may be undertaken, and would permit exemptions from the first year of the Level 7 Solicitor Apprenticeship. The apprenticeship will be delivered by a combination of online and face-to-face training from The University of Law, as well as on-the-job learning. Assessment for the Legal Apprenticeship includes exams, coursework and a portfolio of evidence.
The University of Law – Learning Provider
The University of Law is one of the UK’s leading providers of legal education and training, and has trained more legal professionals at different stages of their careers than anyone else. They have been recognised for their excellence in teaching by the Higher Education Funding Council who awarded them Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework 2016.
Essential skills & qualities:
Academic entry requirements:
Minimum of AAB at A-level or equivalent (obtained or predicted) as well as 7 GCSE's at A* - C (or 9 – 4 for the numbered GCSE grading system). You do not need to have studied law to apply.
- Good IT Literacy, including familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
Personal qualities required:
In addition to a keen interest in the law, applicants must also be:
- A team player
- Enthusiastic and keen to learn
- Adaptable in approach
- Proactive and demonstrate initiative
- Able to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Able to multi-task and prioritise effectively
- Willing to take responsibility
- Passionate about excellence