- Salary: £22,000 - £28,000 pa
- Job type: Fixed term contract for six months
- Location: Wimbledon, London Wimbledon, London
- Hours: Mondays to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm
Capsticks is a leading provider of legal services to the health, social care and housing sectors, as well as in the field of professional discipline. The firm has a turnover of c£38m and 400 staff - including more than 250 fee earners - across its 4 offices in London, Birmingham, Leeds and Winchester and acts for a wide range of long standing clients in both the public and private sector including all forms of NHS organisations, governmental and regulatory bodies, registered providers, insurers, defence organisations, independent healthcare providers, charities and GP practices.
Further details about the firm and the type of work carried out can be found on our website at www.capsticks.com.
The Clinical Law department comprises 80 fee earners over three offices (Wimbledon, Leeds and Birmingham). The firm has been a member of NHS Resolution’s panel of lawyers since its inception and, in addition to clinical negligence work, carries out a wide range of other work which includes inquests, advising on regulatory matters, public law issues, judicial reviews, mental health issues and clinical risk management. The inquest team provides an advisory and advocacy service for clients and has acted in many of the leading inquest cases. Further details on the partners in the department and the type of work carried out can be found on our website at www.capsticks.com.
This is an exciting opportunity to assist a busy team. The main role and responsibilities will include helping a partner and solicitors with a range of tasks on their cases including (although, this is not an exhaustive list):-
- reviewing and drafting witness statements;
- drafting instructions to experts;
- drafting instructions to counsel;
- liaison with clients, courts, witnesses and NHS Trusts;
- reviewing medical records;
- analysing evidence received in order to advise the client;
- running a small portfolio of own cases with the assistance of an automated IT system; and
- drafting reports to the client.
Supervision, support and relevant training will be provided although the successful applicant will also be encouraged, where appropriate, to use their own initiative.
Candidates should ideally have:
- an LPC or BVC qualification (LPC would be preferred but is not essential);
- strong IT skills;
- current/recent healthcare experience;
- experience of navigating medical records and identifying key documentation;
- proven experience of handling own caseload;
- ability to adhere to and manage deadlines;
- good drafting and writing skills;
- good communication skills; and
- good administration skills.
Candidates will also be expected to demonstrate at interview that they:
- are well organised;
- have good attention to detail;
- are proactive; and
- are self-motivated.
Candidates must ideally be available to start immediately (or within one month) and if you are interested in applying for this position please apply by sending your covering letter and CV via the vacancies section on our website at www.capsticks.com.
Capsticks is an equal opportunities employer
Capsticks is committed to providing equal opportunities for all and to encouraging diversity through recruitment. Applications are welcome from all sections of the community and decisions to progress will be made with reference to entirely objective criteria only.
Capsticks is an agile firm and is open to conversations about flexible working.